Me & Dad

Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Great-great-Aunt Mattie

I just spent some time with My Aunt Marge (my dad's sister) and we had a great time going through some old, old pictures and different keepsakes from our family.  It was an important time because we were able to put names to many different pictures which didn't have any i.d. and within this next generation no one will know who they are.  
On my father's side, I had a Great-Great-Great grandfather by the name of Major William Stegall - Major being his first name, not his rank.  But, he was an officer also in the Camila Calvary out of S. Georgia during the war of Northern agression.  We just went tromping out in the woods recently to the old abandoned cemetery where he and other old relatives are buried.  I took a picture of the headstone which I will post a copy of later - I am not at my computer at the moment.
Major Stegall was the father of 21 children which included set of twins and triplets.  My Aunt Mattie - Mattie M. Stegall was born in 1849.  She wrote many poems and enjoyed quilting, composing music and also teaching music.  The really astounding thing about her was that she was blind from the age of two weeks old.  My Aunt Marge had an old booklet of poems titled "My Heart's Work" which had been published many years ago and republished by a local firm in 1977.
She certainly writes in that old prosaic, early English way, but some of her poems really spoke to me.  She often wrote with the Scripture Reference where she created her poetry from.  Here are two of my favorites so far.
A Heart's Longing
I. Chronicles 28:30
Like Jesus on His way to Calvary,
I often sink beneath the load I bear;
I find so little here congenial.
The way to me so dark, so drear.
So few the hearts that do respond
to deep emotions that swell my breast;
So few tongues wherein I find the words
which will to me some joy impart.
I know, dear Lord, that Thou art ever willing
to give me all the help I need,
But is there on earth one willing listener,
to whom I could without reserve pour out my griefs?
No, I must keep them locked within my breast,
from all but Thee, for Thou alone dost know
what I endure, of what I've been bereft;
Thou knowest the wound and how to heal the sore.
I can not see Thee Lord, but I can trust
that Thou wilt always give the help I need,
until the work which Thou hast sent for me is done,
And I am anchored safe at home with Thee.
Love And Grace
Within the heart of saints a fire burns,
its brightness warms and radiates teh soul;
"tis the Indwelling of God's matchless love,
It's presence all pervades and gains control.
But near that heavenly fire there stands a foe,
tis he, alas, the enemy of souls;
and with his many wiles he seeks to quench
each spark, that he may gain the citadel at length.
He watches every weakness that he sees,
and never fails to try his fiendish schemes;
but all in vain, the flame more brightly glows,
he cannot understand why this is so.
But Look!  for near that fire our Saviour stands,
I see Him pouring, with His ever-loving hand,
upon that fire the oil of His grace,
and this is why, the brighter glows the flame
Mattie M. Stegall

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Great Aunt Mattie sounds wonderful! I really enjoyed the poems.

I hope you are enjoying your time in the States... and with your dad especially.

Sorry I haven't been able to see you. You have certainly been on my mind though.

Love you,
s

Lynn Cross said...

What insight. What a heritage. I love the poems. Your Aunt Mattie might have been blind, but her heart had eyes wide open, open to spiritual truths most of us never see. Love you, Lynn

Tonggu Grammy said...

What a blessing to discover your roots. I like the reference to the war of Northern Aggression. Your Georgia roots are showing!!!!

Aunt Mattie was truly blessed to know the Lord so deeply in her heart that she was able to pour out her soul in poetry rooted in Scripture. Treasure that link to your past for it is rare that families today know anything about their heritage.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Sherri